Baked Peas Kachori #Breadbakers

I have very beautiful memories from my Childhood for all traditional foods... Peas used to be a seasonal vegetable when we were growing up... It wasn't like today, that frozen peas was so easily available throughout the year... Peas starts coming in the farmer's market, by the end of November.... But, it use to be very costly, and by the mid of December, the peas were abundantly available in all the Veggie's market.... We were staying in the rural area, and my mom used to buy Peas with cover in a bulk... Me and my sister, use to help her in peeling those Peas, and then she makes small portion packets, and freeze it.. So, that we can enjoy Peas even in summer. 

So, these Kachori's became our weekend breakfast in Wintery months... I tried to make it as good as my mom, but then her cooking has a special touch of love, which makes the food much more tastier....


You can fry these Kachori's as well as bake them...  She use to make both of them, as my dad was health conscious, and he wanted to avoid fried stuff as much as possible... So, mom use to make this baked version for dad, and fried version for we kids.... Fried version is no doubt very good in taste, but when you will try this baked version, you will equally fall in love with delicious Kachori's. It goes very well with the Cilantro Chutney, and the pickles... But, I think it's taste enhances with Tomato Jaggery Sweet Chutney....


While you are here, I would like to recommend, you to visit this list of  awesome stuffed breads, which bread bakers are baking this month..
BreadBakers
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month's host is Jenni from Pastry Chef Online and she has chosen theme of stuffed breads, savory or sweet. Thankyou Jenni, for a wonderful theme.. I really enjoyed, re-creating my mom's recipe.... If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the list of stuffed breads for our Bread Basket...


Sweet Breads

Savory Breads



Ingredients you will need -


  1. All Purpose Flour -  2 cups
  2. Wheat Flour - 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup (as needed)
  3. Rapid Rise Yeast - 1 packet (2 1/2 tbsp)
  4. Sugar - 1tbsp
  5. Salt - 1tsp+ as needed
  6. Peas - 2 cups (fresh or frozen)
  7. Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
  8. Dry Mango Powder (Aamchur Powder) - 1/2 tsp
  9. Red Chilli powder - 1tsp ( or as much spiced you want)
  10. Cooking Oil - 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp
  11. Oil to spray
  12. Butter - 2 tbsp
Directions you need to follow - 
  • Take a cup of warm water, add sugar and 1tsp of salt. Mix and add Rapid Rise Instant yeast, and leave it aside for 5 minutes. Yeast will froth.

  •  In a big bowl, take All Purpose flour and 1/2 cup of Wheat flour, add about 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/4 of cooking oil and mix.
  • Now, add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture, and knead. Make a tight dough.
  • Leave this dough in warm temperature for 1 hror til the size of dough is doubled.


  • Meanwhile, in a heated pan, add cooking oil.
  • When hot, add cumin seeds, and let it crackle.
  • Add Peas, salt, dry mango powder and red chilli powder. Saute on medium flame, till all the water is evaporated.
  • Transfer the content in a dry bowl, and let it cool down.


  •  When cooled, grind it coarsely.

  •  By this time, your dough is ready, punch it down and knead for another 5-7 minutes, till it gets the elasticity.
  • Divide the dough in equal 12 parts, and make roundels of each part.


  •  Press each roundel in center, make it as thin as possible, and fill the Peas mixture in the roundel. Close the edges, so that the Peas is completely packed inside.




  •  Do it for each roundel, and place them 1" apart, in a baking tray.
  • You can make your tray ready, by either spraying the tray, or by covering the tray by parchment paper.. 


  •  Let it rise again for 30 minutes... At the end of this 30 minutes, preheat the oven at 375 degrees.
  • Bake them at this temperature for 10-12 minutes, turn and again bake for 5 more minutes or until the edges turn brown.
  • After the Kachori's are baked, generously apply butter on either side of Kachori.. It will absorb the butter, and will make Kachori's more flaky and tasty.
  • Enjoy this delicious Kachori's with Sweet Tomato Chutney.






Comments

Unknown said…
And so I've learned about another bread - Kachori. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Shireen said…
I have never tried making kachoris at home. Your baked version looks so good!
Jenni said…
I love the bright, springtime filling in your kachoris. Just gorgeous!
Unknown said…
I love this group, every month I learn about a few new breads that I have never heard of. Thanks for sharing!
Stacy Rushton said…
Your mother was a very smart woman, Shilpi, freezing peas! It makes me a little sad sometimes that our supermarkets carry everything year round so some folks will never know the thrill of special seasonal fruits and vegetables unless one has a farmer's market nearby to shop in. Your kachori are beautiful and I love that bright green filling!
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe and even more for sharing your memories.
Unknown said…
What a great recipe to share, I haven't had anything like this, but I adore peas. Nicely done!!
Karen said…
I love learning about new breads! This looks so tasty!
The peas add such a brightness to this lovely bread. Thanks for sharing it today!
Can we substitute all purpose flour with wheat flour
Chef Mireille said…
love that this is a baked version for kachori. will want to try this healthier version for sure
Shilpi Prasad said…
I'm glad that you like it...
Shilpi Prasad said…
Thanx Shireen.. Yes, it was really yummy..
Shilpi Prasad said…
Glad you liked it, Adam..
Kelster said…
I would definitely love to try the fried version of this!
Shilpi Prasad said…
Thanx Stacy... Ya, I agree she knows lots of life hacks, which makes out daily life much easier.
Shilpi Prasad said…
Try it once, Tara.. I'm sure you'll love it.
Shilpi Prasad said…
Thanx Karen. Glad you liked it..
Shilpi Prasad said…
Thanx Holly for visiting my blog.
Shilpi Prasad said…
Yes, Usha you can do that... I love the taste of mixed flour, so I use both every time.
Shilpi Prasad said…
Thanx Chef Mireille.
Shilpi Prasad said…
Fried also taste great, Kelster.. Just being little health conscious these days..
Ansh said…
I Love peas kachoris, but never thought of baking them.. Thank you for a wonderful idea. Your Kachoris look out of this world.
Pavani said…
Never thought kachoris can be baked. They look as good as the fried ones. Will definitely try these out some time.
Hezzi-D said…
I'm intrigued by these...I'm never heard of peas in a bread!
Sarah R said…
This sounds amazing... and I don't even like peas!
Looks totally yumm!!! A guilt-free snack!!!
Looks totally yumm!!! A guilt-free snack!!!
These look really tasty, perfect for dipping!
Anonymous said…
I tried your recipe, but my kachoris came out soft not crispy or falky. They taste like pav. I followed exact recipe, can you please tell me where did I go wrong.
Shilpi Prasad said…
Dear Anonymous,

What temperature did you baked your Kachori's in... We want to make it crispy, so we have to work on medium temperature... For my oven 375 degrees, is the medium temperature... For you if it is hot, then reduce the temprature to 325 or may be 350 degrees... If you are working on high temperature, then it will turn into pav, and won't be crispy. And did you add oil, in your dough... It is also the main ingredient... Follow exactly, as it is mentioned, and it will be perfect...
Anonymous said…
Thanks for your quick reply, I followed exactly the same, I added 1/4 cup oil & baked at 375 degress for around 15 mins.
Shilpi Prasad said…
Then, only thing I could guess went wrong is the temperature. May be your oven gets too hot at 375 degrees, and you need to bake at 325 degrees.. Baking at moderate heat is a key.

Popular posts from this blog

Focaccia Bread #BreadBakers

Oats Garlic Kulcha #BreadBakers